Welcome My Dear World…!!!

This blog is just an endeavor to pen and share some episodes of my life and some waves of thoughts that hit me. Please don’t mistake that you can study me as a whole in here. I’m sorry, for I too have many things to be kept reserved either within my family schema or within my psyche. But whatever that have been scribbled in this sunless sky is true. I promise.

All the inhabitants of Mother Earth are free to view this blog and post their critics, observations and suggestions.

Here mentations are drifting into a sunless sky...and I named it “Aphorisms”….Keep reading…

--Varun



Sunday, December 19, 2010

The Crown of Thrissur.


“A very big temple in 10 acres is said to have been built by Parasurama. It is a walled complex of fifteen shrines dating from the twelfth century or earlier. Here the deity is Shiva. The famous ‘Thrissur Pooram’, fathered by His Highness ShaktanThampuran, is celebrated in the precincts of the temple. To facilitate the Pooram he cleared teak forests of 54 acres around the temple. The temple is enclosed by 15 ft massive walls. The Gopurams, four, in carved wood and stone positioned in four directions around the temple. Bali (sacrifice) stones in brass seen everywhere. The ground is dotted with stone reliefs of prostrating men. The deities of Ayyappa and Rama, as ancillaries, are in comradeship with giant old trees. The Adi Sankaracharya is also accommodated. The exquisitely carved wood beautifies the shrines and Koothambalam (Temple Theater). The idols of Shiva positioned all around the main altar.
This is what the “www” have got to say about the one massive subject what all the 317,474(approx.) “Geddys” including me boasts when we talk about our land…the cultural capital of Kerala – THRISSUR. It is Vadakkumnadhan Temple.
But for us Vadakkumnadhan is something beyond all these historic and architectural measurements. The first feeling one gets on entering through the Gopuram of the temple is the incredible space and light. It is a temple complex that has literally very much to boast about its history, culture, customs, and devotees. But to be frank, I never used to make any prayers in a typical so called “devotee” style.
If it’s to speak about my religious views, I don’t believe the force or whatsoever it is, that which is called “THE GOD”, to be like a Genie from the magic lamp. I believe him to be a companion of my thoughts. I took the freedom that this religion grants me to pick out any form in which you want to see this force from among the 330,000,000 forms of GODS. And I chose this 14 crescent moons topped by 3 serpent hoods symbol out of the entire 330,000,000 forms.
Once, one of my aunts asked me why I am so much addicted to Thrissur. I guess that her perspective was like ‘what is there so much to get attracted in Thrissur?’ I told her that it was this centuries old temple complex that keeps my mind glued to this place. It has given me lots of loads of friends. Being the youngest among them, there were some who care me like their own grandchild, some like their own child, and some others like their own younger brother. It has given me a social existence. It helped me to make my life easier. And this all happened even before I realized that I wanted all these kinds of reliefs. The state of mind that I experience in that 9 acres compound bounded by the 15 feet tall, elephant bellied walls, is inexplicable.
The welcoming wind that rushes whistling from within the walls of the mighty state of the art temple Gopuram which caresses you as you enter it; the clattering song sung by the leaves of the adolescent Ilanji tree on the left and the Asoka tree on the right to the tune of the mild wind; and the several scores of the Banyan trees older than our grandfathers; the stone laid circumambulation path; the tasty Neyyappam offered to the Lord; the Om Namah Shivaya chanting…so on it goes. This is where I belong. How on earth can I not be addicted to this..???
Actually, this was one among the very first of all those which I wanted to blog. But when it is about this structure I can’t be spontaneous and instantaneous like I was for all the previous 30 posts in Aphorisms. But still, here I failed…I failed to scribble (the word which one of my colleague always used for mentioning Aphorisms) even a Nano percent of what’s there in my mind. Once again I feel we haven’t found out enough words to paint our thoughts.
Though not to the mark as I expected have come out, an attempt made is giving me humdrum relief.
I simply love my land….the land of Vadakkumnadhan ruled by ShakthanThampuran….


No comments:

Post a Comment